Scouting for Food
Did you realize that one of every three people served by food banks are children? It is reported today nearly one of four people in soup kitchen lines is likely to be a child. More than one in three households being helped by local food banks and pantries includes children. This year's "Scouting for Food" effort will benefit more than 150 pantries, kitchens and closets throughout New Hampshire.
On the first Saturday in November, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers and their leaders will deliver Scouting for Food door hangers throughout their neighborhoods and state. On the next Saturday, Scouts will return to collect the donated non-perishable food items left outside with and take them to a convenient drop off location within their local communities.
| Most Needed Items |
Non-perishable food and hygiene items (no glass, please)
- Canned protein (tuna, chicken, peanut butter)
- 100% fruit juice
- Grains (pasta, rice, macaroni & cheese)
- Canned vegetables and fruits
- Hygiene products (diapers, toilet paper, tissues, soap, toothpaste)
If you receive a door hanger, please make sure to leave your donations in a visible location outside your front door or by the base of your mailbox (please do not hang on or put in your mailbox) by 8:30 AM on Saturday, November 8, 2014. Please avoid donating glass items.
If you do not receive a door hanger or your items are not picked-up, please consider bringing donations to the collection site closest to you. Please place your donated items in plastic grocery bags or boxes.
Unit Planning & Organization:
Units: Door hangers will be available to pick-up starting at your district's October roundtable. Contact your district Scouting for Food chair or district professional if you have any questions.
- The unit must know its assigned territory. If you're not sure, please consult with your district Scouting for Food chair.
- All members, both youth and adult, should be in uniform during Scouting for Food activities.
- Determine an assembly place and time for your door hanger distribution and collection of donated food items (you may wish to use your regular unit meeting place or another convenient location).
- Be sure that Scouts travel in groups of two or more with adequate adult supervision.
- Provide enough vehicles for the number of boys participating and the area to be covered.
- Vehicles should stay as close to the boys as possible. It is highly recommended (especially for Cub Scouts) for adults to be on the streets during door hanger distribution.
- Plan to remind all participants during the week of the drop off and collection.
- Unit leaders must make sure the distribution and collection guidelines listed below are followed.
DISTRIBUTION AND COLLECTION GUIDELINES:
- All unit members work the assigned territory only.
- On boundary streets, collect only on your side of the street unless you are given other instructions.
- Distribute to residences only. Skip businesses and apartments with controlled access or rules against solicitation.
- Place the door hanger on what appears to be the most frequently used door of the residence.
- Do not put in mailboxes. DO NOT ENTER ANY HOME FOR ANY REASON.
Please also make sure to report your unit's Scouting for Food service hours on the Journey to Excellence website.
For more information contact the council program department at (603) 625-6431 or 1-800-221-0009, your district Scouting for Food Coordinator or district professional for details. With everyone's assistance, we can make a difference in whether or not a child goes hungry.
Collection sites on Saturday, November 9th include (currently tentative):
Sorted by Community:
| Community || Collection Site || Address || Hours on 11/9 |
| Belmont || NH DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY/MARINE PATROL || 3 Higgins Drive || 9 AM - 1 PM |
| Berlin || NH NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY || Milan Road || 9 AM - 1 PM |
| Claremont || CLAREMONT SOUP KITCHEN || 53 Central Street || |
| Concord || NH NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY || 4 Pembroke Road || 9 AM - 2 PM |
| Derry || DERRY MAIN FIRE STATION || 131 East Broadway || 8 AM - 2 PM |
| Dover || ST. JOSEPH CATHOLIC CHURCH || 150 Central Avenue || 8 AM - 1 PM |
| Hillsborough || ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH || 38 Church Street || 9 AM - 1 PM |
| Keene || PEOPLE'S LINEN || 9 Griffin Street || 9 AM - 1 PM |
| Lebanon || UPPER VALLEY SENIOR CENTER || 10 Campbell Street || 10 AM - 2 PM |
| Littleton || NH NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY || 350 Meadow Street || 9 AM - 2 PM |
| Londonderry || LONDONDERRY MAIN FIRE STATION || 280 Mammoth Road || 9 AM - 2 PM |
| Manchester || CAMP CARPENTER || 300 Blondin Road || 9 AM - 2 PM |
| Milford || MILFORD FIRE DEPARTMENT || 39 School Street || 9 AM - 2 PM |
| Nashua || BISHOP GUERTIN HIGH SCHOOL || Use the Almont Street Entrance || 8 AM - 3 PM |
| North Conway || GIBSON CENTER || 14 Grove Street || 11:30 AM - 1 PM |
| Pelham || ST. PATRICK'S SCHOOL || 16 Main Street || Friday 6 PM - Sunday 9:00 AM |
| Pelham || HANNAFORD'S SUPERMARKET || 150 Bridge Street || 8 AM - 3 PM |
| Peterborough || PETERBOROUGH COMMUNITY CENTER || 25 Elm Street || 9 AM - 2 PM |
| Plymouth || NH NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY || 19 Armory Road || 9 AM - 1 PM |
| Rochester || ROCHESTER COMMUNITY CENTER || 150 Wakefield Street || 9 AM - 1 PM |
| Salem || SALEM MAIN FIRE STATION || 152 Main Street || 8:30 AM - 3 PM |
| Somersworth || SOMERSWORTH COMMUNITY FOOD PANTRY || 176 West High Street || 8 AM - 1 PM |
| Stratham || STRATHAM FIRE DEPARTMENT || 2 Winnicutt Road || 9 AM - 2 PM |
| Windham || WINDHAM CENTER SCHOOL || 2 Lowell Road || 9 AM - 1 PM |
Sorted by Scouting District:
ABNAKI DISTRICT (Central Eastern Region)
SOMERSWORTH COMMUNITY FOOD PANTRY – SOMERSWORTH
176 West High Street, Somersworth
ST. JOSEPH CATHOLIC CHURCH – DOVER
150 Central Avenue, Dover
ROCHESTER COMMUNITY CENTER – ROCHESTER
150 Wakefield Street, Rochester
ARROWHEAD DISTRICT (Greater Nashua)
MILFORD FIRE DEPARTMENT – MILFORD
39 School Street, Milford
BISHOP GUERTIN HIGH SCHOOL - NASHUA
Almont Street entrance
GREAT NORTHERN DISTRICT (Northern New Hampshire)
GIBSON CENTER – NORTH CONWAY
14 Grove Street, North Conway
NH NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY – BERLIN
Milan Road, Berlin
- NH NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY – LITTLETON
350 Meadow Street, Littleton, NH
NH NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY – PLYMOUTH
19 Armory Road, Plymouth
HISTORIC DISTRICT (Seacoast Region)
MASSABESIC DISTRICT (Greater Manchester)
MT MONADNOCK DISTRICT (Monadnock Region)
PEOPLE'S LINEN – KEENE
9 Griffin Street, Keene, NH
PETERBOROUGH COMMUNITY CENTER – PETERBOROUGH
25 Elm Street, Peterborough, NH
ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH – HILLSBOROUGH
38 Church Street, Hillsborough, NH
NUTFIELD DISTRICT (Greater Salem & Derry Area)
DERRY MAIN FIRE STATION – DERRY
131 East Broadway, Derry, NH
LONDONDERRY MAIN FIRE STATION – LONDONDERRY
280 Mammoth Road, Londonderry, NH
SALEM MAIN FIRE STATION – SALEM
152 Main Street, Salem, NH
ST. PATRICK'S SCHOOL – PELHAM
16 Main Street, Pelham, NH
HANNAFORD'S SUPERMARKET – PELHAM
150 Bridge Street, Pelham, NH
WINDHAM CENTER SCHOOL – WINDHAM
2 Lowell Road, Windham, NH
SUNAPEE DISTRICT (Dartmouth/Lake Sunapee Region)
CLAREMONT SOUP KITCHEN – CLAREMONT
53 Central Street, Claremont
UPPER VALLEY SENIOR CENTER – LEBANON
10 Campbell Street, Lebanon, NH
WANNALANCIT DISTRICT (Greater Concord & Lakes Region)
NH NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY – CONCORD
4 Pembroke Road, Concord, NH
NH NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY – PLYMOUTH
19 Armory Road, Plymouth, NH
NH DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY/MARINE PATROL – BELMONT
3 Higgins Drive, Belmont, NH
Once again, thank you in advance for your support and commitment to Scouting for Food!